Triathlon in Greece hasn’t followed the impressive development that we have observed at the rest of the European countries
We have asked the 10 athletes, who have received the pilot questionnaire, to identify all the possible reasons why Triathlon has not developed in Greece.
The answers are presented below in a random order:
- Sport particularities (complicated rules, technical demanding sports,…)
- Equipment cost (bicycle, wetsuit, different clothes for the 3 sports)
- Lack of infrastructure for competition. Difficulties to close roads close to the city in order to organize races that could attract audiences.
- Social prejudices: “Triathlon is a sport for masochists, …”, “Triathlon is only for people who do not work and have a lot of free time”
- Dangerous sports (injuries, bike accidents,)
- Lack of strategic plan on behalf of the National Governing Body
- Time demanding sports
- Lack of specific-skills coaches
- Unknown sport
- Lack of efficient promotion plan from the NGB
- Lack of tradition in the country
- Lack of public interest
- Lack of interest from the media.
- Lack of organized training sessions.
- Lack of training facilities.
- Lack of revenues/ No access to funding resources.
- Poor government funding.
Text & Survey : Giannis Psarelis – Chief Editor (Email : firstname.lastname@example.org)