Text : Giannis Psarelis – Athens Triathlon Team Head Coach & Triathlon World Editor (Email : firstname.lastname@example.org/ Mobile : +306937170260)
The most common mistakes that triathletes are doing as far as running are concerned are the following:
- They don’t choose the correct running shoes for their running style and their feet as well.
- They don’t stretch
- They choose wrong surfaces
- They increase their training loads very fast (training intensity and/or training km).
- They believe that running is a sport where there is no need for a special technique.
- They always run alone.
- They never train under the guidance of a coach
So in order to improve easily in running a triathlete should follow follow some basic rules:
- Find a triathlon/ running coach.
- Choose the right running shoes.
- Learn the right technique by doing running drills often, as in swimming.
- Do run on concrete surfaces.
- Do some stretching after the each running session
- Don’t do too much, too fast too soon. Gradually increase the training volume by respecting the 10% percent rule.
- RICE in case of an injury
- Include some 5 and 10 km races as part of your preparation for your triathlon races.
- Have a variety in your training, run in different places and use different training techniques such as continuous running, fartlek, interval training, hill reps….